Investigators Say Candle Sparked Fire In South Redding

A pet was lost in an early morning house fire in South Redding Saturday. At 3:19AM Redding Fire Department was called to 6233 Riverside Drive. Smoke was showing when firefighters arrived, and they had control of the blaze within 5 minutes. A dog was found deceased in the house. There was major damage to a bedroom and minor damage to the rest of the house. The value of the damage is estimated at $75,000 to the $450,000 house, plus another $15,000 worth of contents. The cause was determined to be a candle that was left burning unattended near combustible materials.