Maintenance Workers Spark Fire Saturday At The Red Lion Inn

A fire in a bathroom of a room at the Red Lion Inn on Hilltop Drive was reported Saturday morning. The Redding Fire Department says no one was injured as the room was unoccupied. It apparently was caused by maintenance personnel who were soldering copper pipes without proper clearance. The fire was contained to one bathroom and interior framing between the first and second floors. All other guests were evacuated from the building due to a fire alarm activating. Crews took about five minutes to extinguish the fire, with two hours for cleanup and overhaul.